Jump to Contact Us page, or phone 1-603-875-6714
 

In case you were unable to attend any of the 2014-2015 season's MMSC meetings, read about what went on.

      “Please try to attend the 2014-2015 meetings in person, we can use everyone's input!

This is an informal compilation of what was discussed during some of our 2014-2015 meetings.

 

 





 

Minutes from September 8, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 7:08 P.M. There were 11 members present. All officers were present except Ray Johnson and Leon Gloshinski.

The minutes of the last meeting (4/14/2015) were reviewed and, on a motion by Bill Breen, approved. The minutes of the E-board meeting (8/4/15) were presented, and approved.

Tucker updates:
The engine long block has been replaced and appeared to run Ok at the Old Home Day parade. Unfortunately, the muffler exhaust pipe fell off somewhere along the parade route and could not be found. The maintenance has been done by Get Snow. This included: idler wheels taken off, adjusted, and replaced, 3 seals replaced, hydraulic circuit repaired, and brakes and calipers replaced. The vibration issues seem to be improved. It is not known if the issues with the plow blade falling have been corrected. In view of the apparent quality of work done, it was approved to have Get Snow perform future maintenance. The drag needs to be transported to Land and Sea for repairs. Roger Sample believes that he has a trailer which will work. He will look into it and arrange the date (possibly on Monday of next week) with Bob Bergeron. Vickie Bergeron has filled in and sent the required Tucker maintenance report to the State.
There has been no repair work performed as yet on the Geo Tracker.

NHSA updates:
They is progressing towards doing on-line memberships. To participate, we are required to conform to a general $35.00 membership level on 1/1/16. We had approved, at the 8/4/15 E-board meeting, to increase our membership fee immediately. A new membership form and first letter were reviewed, and approved for mailing to our members.

GIA updates:
We have been approved for $1,800 to shelve Sunset Shores. We have $6205.90 on hand. $4,000.00 of this can be applied to trail improvement for a total of $5,800.00 for trail work. The bill for officers and directors insurance is $185.00. We will apply for an increase of 10% for this year’s grooming grant and get all new log books so everyone will be using the same form. There will be training on how to fill out the forms, which must be done by the first of the month. The Tucker log book will stay in the Tucker.

Everything is in order to begin work at the Frohock Brook Rd reroute. Larry Brown will set up dates for trail work. The approval of road riding along Rand Hill Rd needs to be renewed with the Board of Selectmen.

Turtle Kraal reroute updates:
The new route has been walked and flagged by Bob Bergeron and is waiting for final approval by Mike. The old bridge will be reused but will need an additional telephone pole and complete redecking. Additional land owner permission will be required by one of the land owners adjacent to the main driveway into Turtle Kraal, as well as from Parandes for across the street on Rte. 28 for river access.

Karen Provencher has proposed a Poker Run on Feb. 6. Leslie Rentel will look into the availability of the Alton Bay community center.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:18 PM.

 

 

Minutes from March 10, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 7:03 P.M.

There were 21 members present.

The minutes of last month’s meeting and cash update were reviewed and approved, on a motion by Rob Wood.

The poker run was a great success and should be held again next year. We should try to arrange the event sooner so that it can be advertised longer.

Tucker update:
Bob Bergeron has met with GetSno regarding the unacceptable vibration and they have agreed. Bob and GetSno will be working on this.
RTP Grant rep. (Weeks) came to inspect the Tucker and put the partially funded by RTP sticker on. He found a few problems, which have already been addressed or will be soon.
The Tucker drag needs to go to Land & Sea for maintenance.

There was discussion as to whether we should sell any of the Skandics. Does their use justify the money that it costs for insuring them? The Geo Tracker has done such a good job that the money spent on the Skandics should be considered being shifted to increased maintenance on the Tracker.

Grooming update:
The Tucker has 1.9 hours left on the grant allowance and the other groomers have no time left. There was a problem with our January grooming submission to DRED. Vickie is trying to work with DRED to correct the issue.

Trail updates:
Trail ‘R’ - needs additional signage and much brush cutting (as possible.) There is a large boulder that needs removing.  
Corr. Trail ‘22’ - Roger Sample can do the required shelving along Alton Shores Rd. There is no report concerning the relocating of the trail from Frohock Brook Rd.  
Trail ‘E’ - Mt. Major and Straightback Mt. need additional brush cutting.  
Trail ‘M’ - Roger Sample can also do the needed excavator work through Turtle Kraal if we can determine the new route with the owner, Bob Carlton.  

Kim Ervin is going to look into getting PMHS students for trail work, as part of their graduation requirements for community service. Trash will need to be picked up along all of our trails, with special attention to Corr. Trail ‘22’ near Rte. 28.

Officer Nominations:
All officers were nominated for their existing positions with two exceptions. Larry Brown was nominated for Vice President and Ray Johnson was nominated for Director.   A new position of “Event Director” was created and Karin Provencher was elected (railroaded) unanimously.

Doug Dore has offered the use of his camping area, on corridor 22 near Davis Road, for a club cookout next season.

Golf Tournament:
Rick Johnson will explore the possibility of having one next fall.  

Boat Poker Run:
Gary Connelly may already be holding one but will look into the possibility of holding one for this club.

There will be a Director’s meeting on Tuesday, March 31 (at 6 PM) at JP China.  

The meeting was adjourned at 8:23 PM. 


Minutes from February 10, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 P.M.

There were 15 members present.

The minutes of last month’s meeting and the treasurer’s report were reviewed, and on a motion by Ray Johnson, approved as written.

Groomer Update:
The locations of the Skandics were reviewed. John McAuliffe, Larry Brown, and Gary Connelly each have one. It was questioned as to whether they are being utilized to their full potential.

Tucker:
We have received 2 late payment interest charges for the portion of the payments which are the responsibility of DRED. These are at 18% interest and were for $900.00 and $450.00. These have been forwarded to Chris Gamache. The brush guard and right mirror frame have been damaged by a tree branch and will be brought to Land and Sea for repair on Feb 11. There is an electrical problem that involves the lights and the radio. The defroster fan does not seem to be adequate and we need to consider adding a second fan.

Trail Updates:
Corr. Trail ‘22’ - Chuck Westen is putting his property up for sale. Communication has been made to the BRATS regarding the possible loss of a major trail section for both organizations.
‘D’ - There needs to be more signs put up, especially from Jesus Valley Rd to Alton Mtn. Rd.

‘E’ - The tunnel under Rte. 11 is too narrow for the wide ski stance of newer sleds. Additional warning signs may be needed. The BRATS are interested in doing some trail improvement at the intersection of the trails between Straightback Mtn. and Mt. Major.
‘R’ - Primary trail 305 needs more signs put up. Gilmanton Club has no signs for their section. We need to sign the whole trail. The worst offending tree has been removed, allowing the Tucker to get through with a little less difficulty.
‘M’ - Nothing has been done to reopen this trail through Turtle Kraal due to lack of manpower. There are a few trees which need to be removed towards the Bay end before the Tucker can continue grooming there.

 Lady’s Ride:
Our first ladies ride was held on Sunday, Feb.8, and was very enjoyable. We will hold this event again.

Poker Run:
A Poker run has been scheduled for Saturday, March 7 (from 11 A.M.to 3 P.M. The permit application has been submitted to Alton Park and Rec. Flyers have been made (thanks to Karen Provencher) and donations are being sought for prizes (thanks to Kim.)

The meeting was adjourned at 8:05 P.M.


Minutes from January 13, 2015

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 P.M.

There were 23 members present.

The minutes of last month’s meeting and the cash update were reviewed and approved.

Tucker update:

The problem with the turning radius has been corrected and the winch cable has been replaced. This Tucker seems to vibrate more than the old one. It also requires getting used to using the joy stick. All operators will need an orientation session.

Ron Arsenault introduced himself to the members as our local Fish and Game agent and offered to answer any questions. He also spoke regarding plowing of the ramp at the Fish and Game property at the Bay.

Trail update:

Corr. Trail 22: The gate has still not been opened at Coffin Brook Sand and Gravel as promised. There has been so much logging on the Hussey property that it is difficult to find the trail. The Tucker will have to travel over the bridge on Frohock Brook Rd with ‘wheels down’ when approaching the bridge from the Alton side.

Trail D: All the needed signs have been put up.

Trail R: The reroute has been completed.

There will be a work party for this Sat. at 9 A.M.

There is a problem with snowmobiles riding over the baseball fields at Jones Field. We do not have use of the bridge to the parking lot at this time. Until we do, there is no reason for snowmobiles to enter this area. A no snowmobiling sign will be placed at the access point to the field.

There is a need for the club to figure out how we can raise money. Any ideas are welcome.

A proposal to hold a scavenger hunt as an event at the Alton Winter Carnival was approved.

There will be a ‘Girls’ ride on Sunday, Feb. 8 (at 10 AM) starting from the Alton Bay snowmobile parking area.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:10 P.M.


 

Minutes from December 9, 2014

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 P.M.

There were 11 members present.

All officers except Leon Gloshinski and Ray Johnson were present.

The minutes of last month’s meeting and the cash update were reviewed and approved.

Expenses include:

$2071.00 to CCI for lumber, $663.79 to Gilford Home Center, $660.00 to J. Jeffrey for riprap, $134.00 for a drink holder + tool box for the Tucker, and $331.00 for an actuator for Larry Brown’s Skandic. We will have to file a tax return this year due to our receiving the $60,000.00 grant. We will not incur any tax liability.

Tucker update:

We have received the new Tucker and the Governor’s Council’s approval for the additional RTP Grant of $30,000.00. DRED has notified Get Sno to complete the sale. The paperwork for the lease portion of the purchase ($70,000.00) still needs to be completed.

The delivered winch cable will be replaced with our better quality cable. The turning radius was found to be not as tight as on the old Tucker. Bob Bergeron will investigate if any improvement is possible.

 Leslie Rentel will have a set of keys made for each of our operators. We will try keeping all log books in the Tucker cab for this season.

All groomers need to contact Vickie Bergeron to arrange for a familiarization session and to schedule grooming.

Trail updates:

Corr. Trail ‘22’: There will be a problem on Frohock Brook Rd with riding the edge of the road due to the new drainage manholes. The town plowers need to be asked to leave a v-notch at the end of Frohock Brook Rd and not to plow all the snow into a pile at the trail entrance. The town has complained that our groomers are pushing the snow too far onto the road on Sunset Shores Rd and have requested that we tone it down. The Corr. ‘22’ signs still need to be installed along the reroute from Coffin Brook Sand and Gravel to the Steele’s property.

Trail ‘E’: The new bridge at the Mt. Major parking lot has been installed. DOT had required that the bridge have an increased elevation over the stream. The total cost to the MMSC is not yet known. There may be a need to install a gate at this bridge during the summer.

Trail ‘R’: This trail has been designated as Primary Trail #305. The new signs have been delivered to John McAuliffe for installation. The trail ‘R’ signs will remain up for this season. There are some tree stumps which still need to be removed and some trail rerouting to be done.

Trail ‘D’: The quiet zone signs are up and 10 MPH speed limit signs will be placed along the road in this section of trail. DRED has insisted that they are marked ‘Per order of the Board of Selectmen.”

Misc.: The storms which occurred around Thanksgiving have taken many trees and branches down on the trails. An e-mail plea will be sent to all members to try to get out and help clear the debris. Trail work can be counted towards the High School’s requirement for Community Service. Any members who have children in need of hours should contact the club.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:20 P.M.


Minutes from November 11, 2014

The meeting was called to order at 7:07 P.M.

There were 14 members present. All officers except Leon Gloshinski were present.

The minutes of last month’s meeting and the cash update were reviewed and approved.

Tucker update:

The hours on the Tucker we wish to purchase has 380 hours of use instead of the presented 90 hours. Bob has renegotiated with Get Snow to have new Genx tracks with studs installed at no additional cost. Get Snow has also agreed to donate an additional $4,000.00 towards our purchase. We still need the Governor’s Council to approve the additional RTP Grant of $30,000.00. This will not occur until early December. A motion was made by Ray Johnson, seconded by Roger Sample, to complete the Tucker sale. The motion passed unanimously.  The paperwork for the lease portion of the purchase ($70.000.00) still needs to be completed.

Society for the Protection of NH Forests:

Vickie Bergeron attended the M. Major Conservation Group meeting; one of the items that were discussed was repairing the bridge at the Mt. Major parking lot.  DRED is handling getting the necessary permits from DES.  

Trail updates:

Corr. Trail ‘22’: A trail work party was held between Rte. 140 towards the High School but another work party needs to be scheduled. This will be on Saturday, November 22, at 9:30 AM, to meet at Bob and Vickie’s driveway (at 170 Frank C Gilman Hwy.) Additional clearing is also needed from beyond the Bergeron property to Gilmanton. Roger Sample has met with Ken Roberts to discuss the scope of work requested. Ken has pointed out the need to keep the work far enough from some rock walls so as to not undermine them. Frohock Brook Rd: Roger Sample feels that the bypass is still feasible for this year and will pursue the route. A work party will then need to be scheduled. Ray Johnson has discovered that major trash dumping has occurred (tires) and has contacted the town and Police Department to report this. The Highway Department has agreed to remove the trash. Since this has become a reoccurring situation, a solution for the future must be discussed with the Selectmen. Trail signs still need to be put up through the reroute near Rte. 28.

Trail ‘E’: Bush clearing has been done but there is still much more which is needed.  We still have not received clearance to begin working on the bridge and trail near the Mt. Major parking lot. Fish and Game has applied and paid for the DES permit that is needed.

Trail ‘R’: There was no report on the planned reroute towards Half Moon Lake. Trail R has been designated as Primary Trail #305. Leslie Rentel has painted 50 trail identification signs, which will be delivered to John McAuliffe for installation.

Trail ‘M’: Bob Bergeron will contact the manager of Turtle Kraal to discuss a reroute.

Misc.: Roger Sample attended the Trail Masters Meeting and picked up the new road speed limit signs (20 MPH.) These will be installed along all approved road riding sections throughout our trail system. Quiet Zone signs have been painted and installed by Leslie Rentel as required by the Selectmen.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 P.M.


Minutes from October 14, 2014

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 P.M.

There were 21 members, including all officers, present.

The last meeting’s minutes and the cash update were reviewed and approved.

There are approximately 15 sweatshirts which were ordered but not paid for. These will be offered for sale to anyone who is interested.

Tucker:

We have received a $30,000.00 RTP grant but no Grant-in-Aid. Bob will hopefully hear from Chris Gamache within the week to see if an additional $40,000.00 is possible. Statewide there was only one grant for the purchase of a new groomer.


We might be able to purchase new tracks for our existing groomer at $6,000.00 per track. We may consider purchasing two tracks. Geo Tracker: There is some minor repair work needed. Grant-in- Aid: We have been denied any grant money towards trail work or bridge construction.

Trail Updates:

 Corridor Trail ‘22’ – The Steele’s have commented about trash on the trail. They have requested that we relocate part of the trail in anticipation of their raising bison next year. The route they propose would need extensive excavation work. An alternative would be through Coffin Brook Sand and Gravel (an old trail route.) Bob Bergeron is looking into each possibility.

Trail ‘M’:

The possibility still exists to reopen the portion of trail through Turtle Kraal, this would require a major reroute. Man power to do the work is the major delay in doing the project as well as the lack of funds. There is also a question of stability on the Merrymeeting River at the new crossing point.

Trail ‘D’: 

One board is needed for a bridge. Extensive logging has been done and will need clearing. Quiet zone signs will mark an area of road riding along Rand Hill Road.

Trail ‘E’:

The bridge at the Mt. Major parking lot has been repaired. Any trail improvement permission has been put on hold by the State due to a drainage issue with a land owner which needs to be finalized first.

There has also been extensive logging done near Jesus Valley Road which will need to be cleaned. A work party will be called soon. The gates along the rail road bed have been up for the summer and the Alton Conservation Commission is very pleased with their effect.

Trail ‘R’:

Access to Half Moon Lake may be possible again with a minor reroute.

Bridges:

Two new bridges are needed on the Bergeron property, 6 to 10 feet of bridging on Frohock Brook Trail, 24 boards for 2 new bridges on trail ‘E’, and a major repair is needed on the bridge near Johnson’s on trail ‘M’. The bridge on Corr. trail ‘22’ near Chuck Weston’s is under water and a solution is needed.

Misc.:

We have not yet received the requested trail signs.

Tip of the Bay Motel (J.P. China) will be open for the winter with 6 rooms available.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 P.M.


Minutes from September 9, 2014

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 P.M.

There were 21 members, including all officers, present.

The last meeting’s minutes and the cash update were reviewed and approved.

There are approximately 15 sweatshirts which were ordered but not paid for. These will be offered for sale to anyone who is interested.

Tucker:

We have received a $30,000.00 RTP grant but no Grant-in-Aid. Bob will hopefully hear from Chris Gamache within the week to see if an additional $40,000.00 is possible. Statewide there was only one grant for the purchase of a new groomer. We might be able to purchase new tracks for our existing groomer at $6,000.00 per track. We may consider purchasing two tracks.

Geo Tracker:

There is some minor repair work needed.

Grant-in- Aid:

We have been denied any grant money towards trail work or bridge construction.

Trail Updates:

Corridor Trail ‘22’: The Steele’s have commented about trash on the trail. They have requested that we relocate part of the trail in anticipation of their raising bison next year. The route they propose would need extensive excavation work. An alternative would be through Coffin Brook Sand and Gravel (an old trail route.) Bob Bergeron is looking into each possibility.

Trail ‘M’: The possibility still exists to reopen the portion of trail through Turtle Kraal, this would require a major reroute. Man power to do the work is the major delay in doing the project as well as the lack of funds. There is also a question of stability on the Merrymeeting River at the new crossing point.

Trail ‘D’:  One board is needed for a bridge. Extensive logging has been done and will need clearing. Quiet zone signs will mark an area of road riding along Rand Hill Road.

Trail ‘E’: The bridge at the Mt. Major parking lot has been repaired. Any trail improvement permission has been put on hold by the State due to a drainage issue with a land owner which needs to be finalized first. There has also been extensive logging done near Jesus Valley Road which will need to be cleaned. A work party will be called soon. The gates along the rail road bed have been up for the summer and the Alton Conservation Commission is very pleased with their effect.

Trail ‘R’: Access to Half Moon Lake may be possible again with a minor reroute.

Bridges: Two new bridges are needed on the Bergeron property, 6 to 10 feet of bridging on Frohock Brook Trail, 24 boards for 2 new bridges on trail ‘E’, and a major repair is needed on the bridge near Johnson’s on trail ‘M’. The bridge on Corr. trail ‘22’ near Chuck Weston’s is under water and a solution is needed.

Misc.: We have not yet received the requested trail signs. Tip of the Bay Motel (J.P. China) will be open for the winter with 6 rooms available.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:30 P.M.